Published 13 May 2011 by BWL
We are delighted to welcome the award-winning musician Matthew Bourne to The Leaf Label. We've had an eye on him for a few years now, and he becomes the first Yorkshire-based artist we've worked with since we relocated to God's Own County five years ago.
In the ten years since he won the Perrier Young Jazz Award, pianist, cellist and composer Bourne has been involved in many far reaching projects, including The Electric Dr. M, jazz trio Bourne/Davis/Kane and the insanely fierce Bilbao Syndrome, as well as collaborations with a vast range of artists including Marc Ribot, John Zorn, Seaming To and Polar Bear's Pete Wareham.
Despite widespread acclaim for his emotionally and physically intense solo performances, Bourne has never released a solo studio album… until now. This new relationship with Leaf marks a significant change in direction from his previous work - stripping away technological influences and focusing on the bare potential of the instruments. We can't wait to hear what he comes up with. He is currently writing and recording new material which is planned for release later this year.
His latest project, a commission with the London Sinfonietta called 'Written/Unwritten', puts together the differing worlds of improvisation (Bourne) and composed (London Sinfonietta). The event takes place at London's Kings Place on Friday 3 June, then on Saturday 4 June he will be collaborating with The KX Collective alongside the London Sinfonietta and Paul Griffiths for a one-off performance. Find out more and book your tickets here.
Before this, Bourne performs the world premiere of 'Montauk Variations' at The Great Hall in Dartington, Devon, on May 24. Following the gig, Bourne will use this magnificent 14th Century hall to record his new album.
You can find more info on all of Bourne's forthcoming shows here.
- Matthew Bourne at The Great Escape
- Melt Yourself Down - Jump The Fire video
- New Jherek Bischoff album Cistern
- The Comet Is Coming to Village Underground
- Melt Yourself Down - Last Evenings On Earth out today
- Matthew Bourne interview and mixtape
- Melt Yourself Down - BBC 6 Music Lauren Laverne session
- Jherek Bischoff at the BBC Proms
- The Comet Is Coming - Channel The Spirits album stream
- Melt Yourself Down - The God Of You video
- The Comet Is Coming - 'Space Carnival' video
- Matthew Bourne - 'On Rivock Edge' video + moogmemory album stream
- Melt Yourself Down - new album + single
- The Leaf Label inspects the Freakier Zone
- Matthew Bourne + Michael England: moogmemory tour trailer
Melt Yourself Down
Last Evenings On Earth
The Comet Is Coming
Channel The Spirits
Melt Yourself Down
Dot To Dot
Subscribe to News as an RSS Feed.