Published 25 February 2010 by BWL
Sweden’s exhilarating duo Wildbirds & Peacedrums have lost no time in greeting the new decade with a fevered burst of creative energy. New decade, new direction.
Announcing a European tour for May 2010, vocalist Mariam Wallentin and percussionist Andreas Werliin will be performing new material at the shows, backed by a full choir. The new songs will be premiered at the Pavement-curated ATP Festival in May (full dates below).
Currently supporting St Vincent on tour in the US, the band rehearsed, recorded and mixed two new bodies of work in 10 days in Iceland at the end of January, around a theme of water.
Five songs focus on steel drum (representing the single drop of water), while another five recorded in a church feature a collaboration with the 12 strong Schola Cantorum Reykjavík Chamber Choir (the ocean), who also featured on Björk’s Medulla album. These amazing new songs were recorded by Australian émigré Ben Frost, mixed by Valgeir Sigurðsson (Camille, CocoRosie, Bonnie Prince Billy) with choral arrangements by Hildur Guðnadóttir (who has collaborated with Fever Ray, Throbbing Gristle and is a member of Múm). A stellar cast, you will agree.
“We see the choir recordings as the main picture, the big strong emotions,” explains Mariam, “while the steel pan songs are the inside small reactions, or what comes after a storm. Like the shadow that always follows, like the tail. This album is all about internal emotions for us. Pure and simple, that’s what our music is about.”
The new recordings will be released as two limited edition vinyl EPs, to be combined later on CD and digital download. The first release will accompany the May tour dates. More details to follow.
European tour dates:
Friday 14 May - ATP Festival, Minehead, UK
Saturday 15 May - Bishopsgate Institute, London, UK
Sunday 16 May - Café De La Danse, Paris, France
Monday 17 May - Dampfzentrale, Bern, Switzerland
Wednesday 19 May - Babel, Malmö, Sweden
Thursday 20 May - Jazzhouse, Copenhagen, Denmark
Friday 21 May - Blå, Oslo, Norway
Saturday 22 May - Södra Teatern, Stockholm, Sweden
- Polar Bear album reissues
- Polar Bear - Mercury Prize, tour & 6 Music mix
- Wildbirds & Peacedrums – Rhythm album stream
- Matthew Bourne at Leeds International Film Festival
- Melt Yourself Down - That's Life mixtape
- Jamie Cullum champions Polar Bear
- Wildbirds & Peacedrums - Keep Some Hope
- Polar Bear with Jin Jin - Cuckoo
- Polar Bear announce special one-off London show in October
- Jherek Bischoff - Kickstarter campaign
- Watch: Polar Bear live video
- 20th anniversary vinyl reissues
- Polar Bear - Mercury Music Prize 2014
- The Leaf Label's Office Radio
- Wildbirds & Peacedrums are back
Held On The Tips Of Fingers
Wildbirds & Peacedrums
Wildbirds & Peacedrums
Keep Some Hope
Cuckoo (with Jin Jin)
Subscribe to News as an RSS Feed.