Published 25 February 2010 by BWL
Sweden’s exhilarating duo Wildbirds & Peacedrums have lost no time in greeting the new decade with a fevered burst of creative energy. New decade, new direction.
Announcing a European tour for May 2010, vocalist Mariam Wallentin and percussionist Andreas Werliin will be performing new material at the shows, backed by a full choir. The new songs will be premiered at the Pavement-curated ATP Festival in May (full dates below).
Currently supporting St Vincent on tour in the US, the band rehearsed, recorded and mixed two new bodies of work in 10 days in Iceland at the end of January, around a theme of water.
Five songs focus on steel drum (representing the single drop of water), while another five recorded in a church feature a collaboration with the 12 strong Schola Cantorum Reykjavík Chamber Choir (the ocean), who also featured on Björk’s Medulla album. These amazing new songs were recorded by Australian émigré Ben Frost, mixed by Valgeir Sigurðsson (Camille, CocoRosie, Bonnie Prince Billy) with choral arrangements by Hildur Guðnadóttir (who has collaborated with Fever Ray, Throbbing Gristle and is a member of Múm). A stellar cast, you will agree.
“We see the choir recordings as the main picture, the big strong emotions,” explains Mariam, “while the steel pan songs are the inside small reactions, or what comes after a storm. Like the shadow that always follows, like the tail. This album is all about internal emotions for us. Pure and simple, that’s what our music is about.”
The new recordings will be released as two limited edition vinyl EPs, to be combined later on CD and digital download. The first release will accompany the May tour dates. More details to follow.
European tour dates:
Friday 14 May - ATP Festival, Minehead, UK
Saturday 15 May - Bishopsgate Institute, London, UK
Sunday 16 May - Café De La Danse, Paris, France
Monday 17 May - Dampfzentrale, Bern, Switzerland
Wednesday 19 May - Babel, Malmö, Sweden
Thursday 20 May - Jazzhouse, Copenhagen, Denmark
Friday 21 May - Blå, Oslo, Norway
Saturday 22 May - Södra Teatern, Stockholm, Sweden
- Independent Label Market, London
- The Comet Is Coming to XOYO
- Jherek Bischoff - Automatism video + Midnight Moment
- Jherek Bischoff - Cistern album stream
- Melt Yourself Down - Another Weapon
- Jherek Bischoff + Amanda Palmer - The Courtyard Theatre, London
- Dearly Beloved...
- Matthew Bourne at The Great Escape
- Melt Yourself Down - Jump The Fire video
- New Jherek Bischoff album Cistern
- The Comet Is Coming to Village Underground
- Melt Yourself Down - Last Evenings On Earth out today
- Matthew Bourne interview and mixtape
- Melt Yourself Down - BBC 6 Music Lauren Laverne session
- Jherek Bischoff at the BBC Proms
Melt Yourself Down
Last Evenings On Earth
The Comet Is Coming
Channel The Spirits
Melt Yourself Down
Dot To Dot
Subscribe to News as an RSS Feed.