Published 18 September 2012 by BWL
Pianist Matthew Bourne embarks on a trailblazing World Tour Of London (grab flyer here) this October. There will be four separate and very different performances in the capital between October 9 and 14, showcasing Bourne’s multifarious talents. In addition, he has added other solo shows in the UK (see our live page here).
We're launching the tour with a quintessentially Bourne video clip. In this Jubilee year, he pays tribute to our reigning monarch with this rendition of the National Anthem...
The first show of the tour, at Deptford’s Laban Theatre, brings together six of the UK's leading jazz and improvising pianists for a unique ‘Piano Relay’ event, featuring duo performances and a relay in which all six musicians perform an extended, improvised piece in spontaneous combinations. The performance will be recorded for future broadcast on BBC Radio 3’s Jazz On 3 show. The other featured performers are Kit Downes, Liam Noble, Robert Mitchell, Alcyona Mick and Pat Thomas.
Show number two forms the opening night of Talvin Singh’s Symbiosis Of Sound festival at King’s Place. Bourne will perform improvisations on solo piano, as part of a bill that also features pianist Ustav Lal (playing his own compositions using the Indian classical melodic system). Talvin Singh gives a pre-concert introduction.
The World Tour Of London concludes with three performances in the rather less auspicious (if rather more happening) surroundings of Dalston’s Shacklewell Arms. The bill for this free gig (book your ticket here) will be topped by the live debut of Billy Moon, a collaboration between Bourne and vocalist/multi-instrumentalist Seaming To. The duo will perform all new material, to be recorded for an album release in 2013.
Main support for this show comes from Andrew Plummer’s visceral World Sanguine Report, with whom Bourne also performs.
Bourne opens the night himself with a short set of improvised pieces on his prized Memorymoog synthesizer. A splendid time is guaranteed for all.
Bourne plans to mount World Tours of other world cities in the future.
- Polar Bear - new single and album
- New Leaf imprint Bias signs Vessels
- Wildbirds & Peacedrums soundtrack Fortitude TV drama
- Radioland: Kraftwerk's Radio-Activity Revisited
- Polar Bear album reissues
- Polar Bear - Mercury Prize, tour & 6 Music mix
- Wildbirds & Peacedrums – Rhythm album stream
- Matthew Bourne at Leeds International Film Festival
- Melt Yourself Down - That's Life mixtape
- Jamie Cullum champions Polar Bear
- Wildbirds & Peacedrums - Keep Some Hope
- Polar Bear with Jin Jin - Cuckoo
- Polar Bear announce special one-off London show in October
- Jherek Bischoff - Kickstarter campaign
- Watch: Polar Bear live video
Same As You
Dont Let The Feeling Go
Held On The Tips Of Fingers
Wildbirds & Peacedrums
Subscribe to News as an RSS Feed.