Published 3 March 2009 by BWL
Efterklang, Colleen, A Hawk And A Hacksaw and Nancy Elizabeth have all been confirmed to appear at fuseleeds09. This festival takes place in various venues around Leeds, UK, bringing the spheres of jazz, world, pop and contemporary classical music together with series of events and new commissions. It's an honour for us to have our artists featured so extensively in our recently adopted home town.
The event kicks off at noon on April 25th with Fusillage, two special commissions of bell peals composed by Colleen (aka Parisienne Cécile Schott) and influential British composer Gavin Bryars, celebrating the very British tradition of bell-ringing. This free event will be held at Leeds Parish Church [please note that while Colleen will be present at the performance, she will not actually be ringing the changes!.
This will be followed later the same day by Danish collective Efterklang performing their acclaimed 2007 album Parades in its entirety with the Britten Sinfonia at the new Leeds Academy. The band have performed Parades with an orchestra only once before, in Copenhagen last September. That show was filmed for posterity, and will be released as a special CD/DVD package later this year.
A Hawk And A Hacksaw and Nancy Elizabeth will bring the festival to a close on May 2nd with a show at the West Yorkshire Playhouse, joined by Bella Union artists The Acorn. The show will be the first UK appearance by A Hawk And A Hacksaw since End Of The Road festival last year and the first in the UK with a new band. Before then AHAAH play support to Andrew Bird and Wilco in North America, and their fourth album will be released in May. Nancy is finishing off her second album for release later in the summer.
Saturday 25 April
fuseleeds09, LEEDS (Colleen and Gavin Bryars)
Leeds Parish Church, LS2 7DP
Saturday 25 April
fuseleeds09, LEEDS (Efterklang)
O2 Academy, LS2 3AW
Tickets £17.50 (£15.50 concs)
Saturday 2 May
fuseleeds09, LEEDS (A Hawk And A Hacksaw, Nancy Elizabeth and The Acorn)
West Yorkshire Playhouse, LS2 7UP
Tickets: £15.00 (£13.00 concs)
- Polar Bear - new single and album
- New Leaf imprint Bias signs Vessels
- Wildbirds & Peacedrums soundtrack Fortitude TV drama
- Radioland: Kraftwerk's Radio-Activity Revisited
- Polar Bear album reissues
- Polar Bear - Mercury Prize, tour & 6 Music mix
- Wildbirds & Peacedrums – Rhythm album stream
- Matthew Bourne at Leeds International Film Festival
- Melt Yourself Down - That's Life mixtape
- Jamie Cullum champions Polar Bear
- Wildbirds & Peacedrums - Keep Some Hope
- Polar Bear with Jin Jin - Cuckoo
- Polar Bear announce special one-off London show in October
- Jherek Bischoff - Kickstarter campaign
- Watch: Polar Bear live video
Same As You
Dont Let The Feeling Go
Held On The Tips Of Fingers
Wildbirds & Peacedrums
Subscribe to News as an RSS Feed.